Listen to the story here or on Spotify.
Today’s podcast story is entitled “Sagacious Marcela”, obtained from the book Philippine Popular Tales by Dean S. Fansler. The story will be read by Juan Lorenzo Flojo.
‘LISTEN TO THE STORY’
Prepared by Kristine Anne P. Valdellon and Juan Lorenzo Flojo
A. Discussion Questions
1. Let’s focus on Marcela’s character
- What aspects of Marcela’s character were emphasized in the story?
- Do you like her character? Is she someone you would like to meet? Why?
- How is Marcela similar or different to other female characters that you are familiar with from other stories?
The story can be read as a commentary on how rulers abuse their power. At the same time, the story can also be read as a commentary on the lengths a father (the king) will go to ensure a happy marriage for his child.
1. Group the students and let one group defend the “power” commentary.
2. Another group can defend the “happy marriage” commentary.
3. Have a third group judge which of the first two groups gave the better argument.
Source: Dean S. Fansler, Filipino Popular Tales. Lancaster, PA. and New York: American Folklore Society and G. E. Stechert and Co., 1921. Available from Project Gutenberg.
Current Stories in the Series
The Monkey and The Turtle
Sun and Moon
The Story of Our Fingers
Why the Cow’s Skin is Loose on the Neck
The Lost Necklace
Ang Pagong at ang Matsing
Ang mga Paglalakbay ni Juan
Ang Pinagmulan ng Daigdig (Si Malakas at si Maganda)
Ang Unang Unggoy
Ang Alamat ng Palay
Ang Alamat ng Pinya
Abangan ang iba pang kwento sa seryeng podcast na ito.